Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Rah Does Not Live By Words Alone

Usually when Ruby Hazelnut goes out of town, I tell all my friends to pretend I am also out of townor that I have been abducted by aliens. I have, in fact, never been abducted by aliens and have no interest in being abducted by aliens (though for the record, if I was abducted by aliens I would totally ask them what's up with this whole dark matter nonsense, because I'm pretty sure physicists are just making that up because they are totally stumped). The point is: When one is abducted by aliens, one is unavailable for coffee or lunch or general socializing. And that is how I like everyone to behave when Ruby Hazelnut is out of town, so I can write all day long, every day.

Last week, I did break tradition for one day, to go on a 30-mile bike ride with the Poet-Accountant. I did this for two reasons:

  1. It is generally considered a good idea to hang out with one's spouse occasionally. More so on one's 18th anniversary. This is how one has another anniversary.
  2. Rah loves to ride. Especially long distances. It airs out the brain. And Cranky Rah's brain definitely needs to be aired out. Frequently.
We rode on the C&O Canal Towpath, which is my favorite place to ride, ever. It goes up past the falls of the Potomac River, which is one of the Beautiful Places of the world.

See, here's proof I occasionally leave my cave:


That thing I'm looking at is a river. Crazy, right? (Actually, I seem kind of unimpressed in the picture, but that's just me getting into a good brood.) You think of the Potomac River as that wide placid water making its lazy way past George Washington's digs, but before it gets there, it is this wild foaming thing.


You don't have to bike to enjoy this amazing place; you can just park at Great Falls and walk over. But you should totally bike it if you're ever in the area. The towpath was made for mules to tow barges up the canal, it's really flat and a super easy ride. 

Our next ride? Probably a two-day on the almost-finally-finished Capital Trail, which will run from Richmond to Williamsburg. 

No comments:

Post a Comment