Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Words Rah Loves: Edible Dormouse

I wanted to start this blog post with the quote You never know what events are going to transpire to get you home. I know it by Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13 (I've mentioned my obsession with the Space Race, right?). It turns out it was also said by some dude named Og Mandino, author of The Greatest Salesman in the World.

I've never heard of Og, though The Greatest Salesman has sold 50 million copies and been translated into 25 languages. I don't know if Og stole the line from Lovell or vice versa or if they both borrowed it from a third party, but the actor Matt McConaughey has said The Greatest Salesman is the reason he became an actor, so I'm not going to be too harsh on old Og.

(The name Og, in case you were wondering, wasn't given to him in honor of his great caveman ancestors; it's short for Augustine.)

So you really never know where research might take you. Like to the edible dormouse.

I've been doing a lot of research that takes me into the realm of botany and zoology. There's a type of animal dormancy called torpor, kind of a hibernation-lite. Hummingbirds, for instance, go into torpor on cold nights to preserve energy. Their body temperature plummets, and their heart rate can drop from 1,500 beats per minute to 50 beats per minute.

It was in Discover Wildlife's article How to Tell Torpor from Hibernation that I read this:

Common dormice hibernate at ground level in woven nests partly covered by leaf litter or moss or in hollow trees. Edible dormice have been recorded under tree roots and beneath floorboards in outbuildings.

Edible what?

Everyone knows the Dormouse from Alice's Adventures in Wonderlandwho, incidentally, keeps falling asleep during the tea party. I had no idea there were multiple kinds of dormice, much less some poor thing called edible.

So here's the deal on the edible dormouse:
Aren't I so cute?
Oh, wait! Is that a Roman?!

The largest of all dormice (five to seven inches long), the edible dormouse is also known as the fat dormouse and, less harshly, as the squirrel-tailed dormouse. Though it's a terrible threat to the woodlands and orchards of England, it is a native of western Europe, which is where the Romans got a hold of it and gave it its gastronomic name.

How'd I lose my nose? Well, I love a
crunchy little dormouse, I do, but
they're viscous.
The Romans used to catch these furry little rodents in the fall when they were fat. They kept them in pits and fed them chestnuts, acorns and walnuts, and then when it was time to roast them up, the Romans would stuff them with pork and pine nuts or glaze them with honey. Apparently, whole roasted dormice made a tasty snack.The Etruscans agreed.

You might think the edible dormouse is pretty happy, now that those pesky Romans are all gone and they have free rein in the UK, but, alas. They are still hunted and eaten in Slovenia, and it was there that the British celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal got the dormice for his 2009 Christmas feast. Chef Bluementhal called his dormouse on a stick, dipped in white chocolate, a "dormouse lollipop," and it was not a hit. Even Bluementhal admitted, "It went down a bit like a lead balloon," which is a lovely double entendre.

What does this have to do with etymology? Not a thing. I just love the phrase edible dormouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment